Monday, May 14, 2012

Making Organic Chicken Stock

I just made a fantastic chicken stock today. I do this pretty often after cooking a whole chicken but I decided to use the bones, fresh, from the organic chicken breasts that I bought yesterday.

Making stock is very simple but many people just have no idea how to do it! I'll take you step by step here and show some pics along the way.

Before you begin you must have;
  • Chicken bones and scraps
  • Garlic clove
  • 1/2 onion
  • A piece of celery
  • Thyme/rosemary or any other spices that you like
  • Salt and pepper




Before you begin, get your chicken scraps together. For this stock I used my hand to tear the bones from the meat, gently, and then put them aside. Just like the paleo diet, food prep should help you get in touch with your food. Using your hands is the best way to do this and, honestly, there is no better tool in the kitchen.














Firstly, chop your onion into large pieces and crush the garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife. This will release the oils but will not destroy the clove. Place a small amount of olive oil in your stock pot (make sure its a big pot) and once it heats up add the garlic and onion and saute them until soft. Once soft add the chicken pieces and saute for a minute or two.



Once sauteed, add around 10 cups of water, your herbs, salt and pepper, bring to boil, and then reduce heat to a slow simmer.




Keep the stock pot simmering for 3-4 hours. After this time the meat and bones will break down and you will now be able to remove it from the heatLet the stock cool a little and then use a strainer and bowl to strain the stock. Once strained, store in a container in the fridge. This will last a few weeks with refrigeration.



This simple stock is great in everything from stir-fry to soup and I will be showing you how to use it in a simple tomato basil soup soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns about anything that I have posted.

Have a caveman kind of day!

JB